In 1685, the Duke of Monmouth and his supporters were confronted by a Royalist force. Armed with farm implements and simple weapons, they fought for their principles against an unjust monarchy who imposed unfair taxes and levies upon the poor and in an attempt to stabilise England during religious unrest. In this crucible, at the very heart of the English Nation, near the site that Alfred the Great at last beat the Danes, we find ourselves again under attack from a government and those who seek to profit at the expense of the environment and the inhabitants of this village.
This is a call to arms. We are just normal people who are being trampled upon by money and power grabbing developers who expect us to accept the disproportionate expansion and development of our village, one of the most beautiful villages not only in Somerset but in the UK .
Because Mendip District Council failed to identify enough new housing stock to meet their Government target within the next five years, we do not have an adopted ‘Local Plan’. This means that all planning applications within Mendip are currently being evaluated against the Government’s National Planning Policy Framework (NPPF) which clearly states there must be a ‘presumption in favour of sustainable development’. It could be June 2014 before the revised Local Plan has been accepted by central Government. This window of opportunity has been seized upon by ruthless developers, with the potential for Norton St Philip to double in size over the next few years.
This is not just about a planning seige in our back yard, but across the Mendip District and indeed across the country. Millions of people will find themselves in the same situation as ourselves, abandoned by their District Councils to the outright greed of developers. We aren’t against development, we’re against the antics of the select few who have the power to push through disproportionate, and utterly inappropriate housing schemes. It is only a matter of time before this could happen to you and as a nation we must stand firm and protect our heritage and our way of living.
We need YOUR support. Please help us in any way you can:
- Object to Mendip County Council Planning Officers for individual applications - please find details on the Prospective Developments pages of this website.
- Put up a Campaign Poster – email us to obtain one.
- Tell your friends and neighbours about this website, encourage them to get involved.
- Email email@example.com to sign up to our e-newsletters to keep up to date with the status of planning applications, meeting dates and more.
- Sign our petitions.
- Contribute to The Great Orchard ‘fighting fund’ to fund the commissioning of Planning Experts who can help us construct the strongest case we possibly can.